What are Over The Counter (OTC) Drugs?
Over-the-counter (OTC) medication refers to medicine that is available without a prescription. OTC drugs help treat ailments and their symptoms, most commonly pain, cold, fever, acne, cough, constipation, and diarrhea.
When used at recommended doses, non-prescription drugs are safe and effective.
The Best Place to Buy Over-the-Counter Medicine Online
Purchasing over-the-counter drugs from Universal Drugstore saves you time and money. Our online services are reliable, cost-effective, and allow you to order high-quality, non-prescription medication from the comfort of your own home.
Universal Drugstore is a certified member of the Canadian International Pharmacy Association (CIPA), meaning that your safety and health are our top priority. We also work together with licensed pharmacy partners in Canada and around the world to offer a wide range of medications at outstanding prices.
Our service provides the best over-the-counter medication deals, along with the advantage of ordering online or over the phone. If you have questions or need assistance, don’t hesitate to contact our patient care representatives 24/7 via email or phone.
Most Common Over-the-Counter Drugs
Over-the-counter drugs are typically used to relieve minor problems without needing to visit a physician. The most common OTC medicines include painkillers, allergy drugs, sleep aids, motion sickness medication, and cold and cough medicines.
What Medicine Can You Buy Over-the-Counter?
Generally speaking, non-prescription medication can be divided into several categories. You can buy over-the-counter antihistamines (cough, cold, and allergy medication), analgesics (pain relievers), antacids (anti-gas medication), and laxatives (digestives).
Some commonly-used, over-the-counter medicines include:
- Ibuprofen (e.g. Advil and Motrin) - used as a pain reliever and muscle relaxer.
- Diphenhydramine (e.g. Benadryl and Benadryl Children's Elixir) - known as a sleeping aid but often used for allergy and motion sickness relief
- Zyrtec - used to relieve allergy symptoms such as watery eyes, runny nose, itching eyes/nose, sneezing, hives, and itching
- Biotin - used for hair loss, brittle nails, and nerve damage
- Vitamin B12 - a nutrient that helps keep the body’s nerve and blood cells healthy
- Claritin - used to treat symptoms such as itching, runny nose, watery eyes and other allergies
- Folic Acid - helps the body produce and maintain new cells as well as preventing changes to DNA that may lead to cancer
- Zantac - known as an H2 blocker, often used to treat and prevent heartburn
- Narcan - used to treat known or suspected opioid (narcotic) overdose.
- Allegra - known as antihistamine used to relieve allergy symptoms
- Calcium - commonly used to treat osteoporosis (bone loss) and muscle diseases
Get the Best Deals on OTC Drugs
Universal Drugstore is committed to providing every client with the best OTC medication savings and customer service. We strive to offer the best discounts while ensuring zero hidden fees.
What Is Prescription-Only Medication?
Prescription drugs are medications prescribed by a physician. They are only intended to be used by the patient to whom they are prescribed. These drugs are only available for purchase with a valid prescription, as they are often more powerful than OTC drugs.
Over-the-counter medications, on the other hand, are available without a prescription and a visit to the treating doctor is generally not required. While OTC drugs are not intended for a specific person, some medicines (like eye drops and nasal sprays) should be used by one individual only.
What Drugs Can You Buy Over-the-Counter?
You can find a wide variety of over-the-counter drugs online. The most popular OTC medications include antacids, laxatives, allergy medicines, as well as cough and pain relievers.